By: Lizeth Escalante
We’ve compiled a short list of critical steps to take after a car accident for your convenience!
We understand that a car accident, regardless of the severity, can put a serious strain on your day and on your finances. Aside from dealing with injuries, there’s the possibility of missing work days and auto repairs that you now must take care of. The good thing to remember is that you don’t have to fight the insurance companies alone!
Ensure to follow these 5 critical steps after a car accident!
1. Do not leave the scene of the accident and immediately notify the police. After ensuring everyone is okay, contact the police to ensure a report is filed in case there is a dispute about liability. Only move your car if it is drivable and most importantly, safe to do so. Otherwise, stay put until a police officer arrives for assistance.
2. Remain calm. Easier said than done, we know! It will not do you any good to take out your frustrations on the other party involved. Make sure to remain calm and courteous through your interaction.
3. Make sure you exchange insurance information. Ensuring you have the insurance information from the other driver will help with the resolution of your claim, especially if the party at fault is slow to report the accident to their own insurance. Often, the police officer at the scene will assist with exchanging information.
4. Take photos of the damage from both vehicles. Approximately 99% of our cell phones can take photos. Make sure you snap a few of both vehicles to document the damage.
5. Before making a statement to the insurance, seek legal advice. Make sure you don’t sign any documents or give a statement to the other driver’s insurance company before speaking with an experienced attorney.
After you’ve been injured in a car accident, give us a call to schedule your FREE initial case evaluation. Do not make any statements to the insurance company without the legal advice of your trusted attorney. Give us a call at 602-910-4040. We are here to make sure the insurance companies compensate you for your loss and injuries. 602-910-4040.