Form AR-11

What Is Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card?

When noncitizens move residences in the United States, they must fill out Form AR-11, an alien’s change of address card. This notifies the government of their new address so that they can send correspondence to the right place.

Filing your AR-11 form in a timely manner will keep you in compliance with US immigration requirements, which can help ensure that your immigration journey continues without a hitch. If you have recently moved and need help filling out your AR-11 form, the Phoenix immigration lawyers at Ybarra Maldonado Law Group are here to help.

We can assist you in gathering the necessary information and filing your AR-11 form with USCIS or the Immigration Court that is handling your case. Call us today at (602) 910-4040 to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced immigration attorneys so that we can get to work for you.

What Is USCIS Form AR-11?

ar11 address change

Form AR-11, also known as an alien’s change of address card, is a form that foreign nationals residing in the US must fill out after changing their address. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires all individuals with a green card or other pending immigration status to report when they change their address. The USCIS uses this information to keep up-to-date records on all non-citizens so they can conduct home visits and send documents to the right place.

Filing a form AR-11 will only inform the USCIS of your address change. If you are currently in immigration proceedings, you must notify the Immigration Court handling your case in addition to notifying USCIS.

How Could a Change of Mailing Address Impact Your Immigration Status?

If you fail to file a form AR-11 with the USCIS, you could face legal consequences, including fines, jail time, and even deportation. Additionally, suppose USCIS or the Immigration Court cannot reach you at your residential address or send you documents in the mail. In that case, you may have your pending applications delayed, or you may have your benefits revoked.

Why Should I File an AR-11 Form?

The main reason you should file a Form AR-11 is because you legally have to. The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states that every foreign national who changes their residential address must file a change of address card within 10 days of moving residences. If they don’t, they would violate US immigration law and could face fines, imprisonment, and even deportation (8 USC § 1305).

Not only that, but if you do not inform the government of your new address, you may not receive important notices or USCIS correspondence. Not being able to respond to these documents could cause many problems for you and your immigration journey.

Do I Need to Inform the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services of My Address Change?

Yes, if you are a noncitizen and you change your address, you must inform USCIS of this address change within 10 days of moving. You can do this by completing a form AR-11, alien’s change of address card. The only noncitizens exempt from this are A and G visa holders and visa waiver visitors.

Does Every Member of the Family Need to File a Change of Address Form?

Yes, you should submit a form AR-11 for each family member. You cannot complete one change of address form for the entire family or household.

How Do I Inform USCIS of My New Address?

ar 11 form

To notify USCIS that you are now living elsewhere, you must fill out a form AR-11 and file it either by mail or online. You must file this form within 10 days of moving into the new location.

If I Move Again After Filing Form AR-11, Do I Need to File Another One?

Yes, if your address changes after filing an alien’s change of address card, you must file another form AR-11 with your new address information.

If I Update My Address with the Postal Service, Do I Need to File an AR-11?

Yes, if you update your address with the United States Postal Service (USPS), you will still need to file a form AR-11 with the USCIS. It’s important that you notify both USCIS and USPS of any address changes so that you can continue to receive documents and notices by mail.

If My Employer Moves Locations, Do I Need to File an AR-11?

No, if your employer moves to a different location and changes your work address, you do not have to file a form AR-11. Your employer is responsible for filing any documents related to your place of employment.

What Happens if I Don’t File the AR-11 Soon Enough?

If you do not file your AR-11 form within 10 days of changing your residential address, you may be subject to fines, jail time, and even deportation. If you failed to file a notice of your new address within 10 days, call the Phoenix immigration lawyers at Ybarra Maldonado Law Group. We can help you evaluate your legal options and may be able to help you file your form to avoid deportation.

How to File Form AR-11

Filing a form AR-11 with USCIS is easy, and you can choose to complete it online or on paper. Once you file, you’ll receive a confirmation notice from USCIS either in the mail or electronically, confirming that your form has been properly filed.

What Information Do I Need to File Form AR-11?

Before you fill out a change of address form, you’ll need your:

How to Fill Out Form AR-11

Below, we’ll go through exactly how to fill out your form AR-11, alien’s change of address card.

1. Personal Information

The personal information portion of your AR-11 form will ask you for your last name (or family name), your first name (or given name), and your middle name if you have one. When filling out this portion of your form, use your name as it is listed on your passport and I-94 form. You’ll also be asked to provide your date of birth and A-Number, if applicable.

2. Address Information

In the address information section of your AR-11 form, you’ll be asked to provide your current residential address. Be sure to use your residential address and not a separate mailing address like a P.O. Box. Below that, you’ll list your previous residential address. At the bottom, you can list your mailing address if you have a separate mailing address that is not your residential address.

Where to File Form AR-11

You can file your change of address online through the USCIS online form or through your USCIS online account. If you do not have a USCIS account, you can make one for free by following the registration instructions.

If you don’t want to file your form online, you can print out a form AR-11, fill it out by hand, and mail it to the address listed on the form. Remember, many immigration forms have a specific mailing address for you to send them to, so be sure to send this form to the correct address

Can an Attorney Help Me File My AR-11?

uscis form change of address

Yes, if you are having trouble filing your form AR-11, you can call an attorney to help you complete the process. You’ll want to contact an attorney with experience in U.S. immigration law, like those at Ybarra Maldonado Law Group. We can help you file your form correctly and in a timely manner, leaving you with one less thing to worry about.

Contact Ybarra Maldonado Law Group for Help With Your AR-11

Moving is a stressful process, and it can be incredibly time-consuming for anyone. Having to deal with filing paperwork on top of that can add additional stress. If you are a noncitizen and you are planning to or have recently moved to a new place of residence, the law professionals at Ybarra Maldonado Law Group can help. Call us at (602) 910-4040 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with one of our immigration professionals.

Share this post

es_MXEspañol de México