PHOENIX CATASTROPHIC INJURY ATTORNEY
DON’T HESITATE TO REACH OUT TO US!
Our Law Firm is committed to becoming the best Law Firm for Latino, migrant, and Spanish speaking communities in Arizona.
If you’ve sustained catastrophic injuries in Phoenix, Arizona, contact Ybarra Maldonado Law Group; a law firm you can trust. A Phoenix catastrophic injury attorney with our law firm will aggressively fight with you in order to get the financial compensation you deserve. We’re not afraid to go to trial, and we won’t accept low offers. No matter the complexity of your case or the severity of your injuries, we will not stop until we achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Don’t let insurance companies take advantage of you after a catastrophic injury. While we can never fully restore or recover the time and damage you were caused, we’re committed to getting you the payment you deserve. You’ve suffered enough losses due to someone else’s negligence. Now it’s time to fight for your right to maximum compensation. To schedule an appointment with us and establish an attorney-client relationship, please call a Phoenix personal injury attorney with YMLG at 602-910-4040 today.
What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury is one whose consequences “permanently prevent an individual from performing any gainful work,” according to the United States Code. These injuries are often serious enough to leave a victim with permanent injuries or damage. This damage often results in the victim no longer having the means to perform their job or to work. The short-term and long-term effects of a catastrophic injury can be extremely detrimental to someone’s ability to provide for themselves and their families.
These injuries are commonly the result of severe damage to the brain or spinal cord, which could impact one’s functionality. Catastrophic injuries may result in the loss of a limb, the ability to walk, or even cognitive functions. If you or someone you love has suffered a catastrophic injury, contact a Phoenix personal injury lawyer with YMLG as soon as possible.
What Is Considered a Catastrophic Injury?
Catastrophic injuries happen suddenly and without warning. They may leave you with impactful life changes and consequences. There is a wide variety of catastrophic injuries, and they occur when many different body parts are affected. Below, we list different types of catastrophic injuries.
- Amputations (loss of limbs)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of sight or hearing
- Severe nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Permanent brain damage
- Permanent tissue damage
- Severe scarring or disfigurement
- Birth injuries
- Burn injuries
What are Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries in Phoenix?
In a busy city like Phoenix, many dangerous accidents could result in catastrophic injury. Catastrophic injury claims can and do arise from many different types of personal injury cases. What’s important is that you work with a qualified personal injury law firm to fight for a fair settlement. Below, we list some common sources or causes of catastrophic injury.
- Car accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Fires or explosions
- Medical malpractice
- Violent crimes
- Sporting accidents
When Can I File a Catastrophic Injury Claim?
When you consult with a Phoenix catastrophic injury lawyer at YMLG, we will evaluate the facts of your case and determine if you have a valid claim. Below, our personal injury lawyers have outlined three main reasons why you might be entitled to a settlement or payment.
- Serious injuries have serious medical bills. The more serious your injury, the higher your bills. Your surgeries, rehabilitation, and medications from the accident add up. We can get you compensation for your expensive medical treatment.
- If your injury affects your ability to work, you might have lost wages or a loss of earning capacity. You are entitled to compensation for any lost wages as a result of the injury. Filing a personal injury lawsuit can help you recover these losses.
- Catastrophic injuries can affect your emotional and mental health. You deserve compensation for the non-physical damages you suffered. In an Arizona personal injury claim, you can sue not only for medical bills and lost wages but also for physical suffering and pain.
What Compensation Can I Recover for a Catastrophic Injury Claim?
While we cannot promise exactly how much your case is worth, we can and will explain how we value our cases. To truly understand what your case is worth, we recommend setting up a free consultation with our experienced Phoenix catastrophic injury attorneys right away.
Most damages from catastrophic injuries are compensatory, meaning that the victim receives compensation for financial losses, as well as emotional or mental damages.
- Medical expenses: Any ongoing therapy, treatments, or estimated future costs for medical care associated with the accident are taken into account. These considerations play a large role in valuing your case.
- Loss of income: Many victims cannot work after their accident, which results in a loss of income. These individuals deserve compensation for lost wages or benefits, and so we also consider this in valuing a case.
- Loss of property: Some accidents lead to extensive damages to property, such as vehicles, electronics, or other valuables. We consider these losses while valuing a case.
- Pain and suffering: This category is more abstract. It includes any physical pain, emotional distress, or loss of enjoyment that affects a victim’s quality of life after their accident. This, too, contributes to the value of a case.
Catastrophic Injury Statute of Limitations Arizona
Every personal injury lawsuit has a statute of limitations that prevents accident victims from filing a claim after a certain period of time has passed. After a catastrophic car accident, motorcycle accident, or other accident, an injured person has two years from the date of the injury to begin their personal injury case.
The point of setting a statute of limitations for personal injury claims is to preserve the credibility and integrity of evidence and witness testimony. However, there are a few important exceptions to the two-year rule for personal injury accidents.
For example, maybe the victim in the personal injury case was a minor or “of unsound mind” when the accident occurred. In this case, the two-year clock only begins either when the victim turns 18 or when they regain their mental capacity.
The only surefire way to know how much time you have left to file is to contact our qualified Phoenix personal injury lawyers. After a careful evaluation of your case, we can advise you on the best course of action, as well as let you know approximately how much time you have left to file.
How Long Do Catastrophic Injury Cases Take?
This heavily depends on a number of factors, including the extent of your catastrophic injuries, the facts of your case, and much more. Catastrophic injury cases are particularly complicated, as the recovery time for an injured person could last several months. Once doctors finally have a better understanding of the severity of your injuries, you can begin tallying up the medical costs associated with your catastrophic accident.
On average, most catastrophic injury cases will take well over one year to settle. However, these cases are often much more complex than more common personal injury cases. For this reason, personal injury victims should prioritize their own recovery above all else. This will not only ensure that you get a picture of the full extent of your out-of-pocket costs, but it will also allow you to rest while your attorney does all the heavy lifting.
How Can a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Help Me?
After suffering serious brain or spinal cord injuries from a motor vehicle accident, many people don’t know where to turn. They’re having to juggle their recovery, talking with the insurance company, and figuring out how to obtain a favorable outcome in their case. Personal injury attorneys are the best bet that an injured person has when they pursue compensation for their out-of-pocket costs.
A Phoenix catastrophic injury lawyer with YMLG will advocate on your behalf and argue that your life has been forever changed by the accident. We aim to make compelling arguments that not only explain the extent of your losses but also prove negligence from the at-fault party.
If you suffered injuries from a catastrophic accident, you deserve maximum compensation for your losses and suffering. Our personal injury law firm will guide you through the legal process, all while building your case and fighting to obtain compensation so you can be made whole again.
How to Prove Negligence After a Catastrophic Injury Accident
In order to prove someone else’s negligence, your Phoenix catastrophic injury lawyer must show the four essential elements of negligence, which we list below.
- Duty of care: The at-fault party owed you a duty of care for reasonable safety. For example, in the case of a motor vehicle accident, the negligent party owed everyone on the road a duty of care to drive in a safe manner.
- Breach of duty of care: If the at-fault party breaches that duty of care, perhaps by texting and driving, this could cause a crash.
- The breach caused your injuries: Their breach ended up causing a motor vehicle accident, and you suffered injuries as a result.
- You suffered losses as a result: Because of those injuries, you have suffered financial losses in the form of medical bills.
How to Prove Pain and Suffering in a Catastrophic Injury Case
Physical pain and suffering are another important element of catastrophic car crashes and other accidents. Certain catastrophic injuries are excruciatingly painful, and you deserve compensation for your suffering. In order to calculate the worth of your case, it is imperative that you provide evidence that shows how much suffering you endured. Below, we list some important pieces of evidence that help show pain and suffering.
- Your medical records: Medical records are powerful pieces of evidence. Not only do they prove that you did, in fact, suffer injuries, but they also show the extent of your injuries and treatments. For example, after accidents involving fire, your records will record your burn injuries, which are known to be very painful.
- Medical expert testimony: Your doctors and other medical providers can testify about your injuries. They understand the extent of your suffering better than the average person, and they can relay this to the jury.
- Your own testimony: Your own testimony is immensely valuable. After all, you’re the person who endured the suffering. Explaining how your injuries have changed your life can carry much weight in court.
- Testimony from friends and family: Even your close friends and family members can testify as to the extent of your injuries. They can testify that you can no longer do things that you used to do or enjoy things that you used to enjoy.
Do You Need a Phoenix Catastrophic Injury Attorney?
Catastrophic injuries impact the victims of the accident, as well as their families in many cases. Our experienced Phoenix attorneys will fight for you in court and get the compensation you deserve. Don’t try to negotiate with the insurance company on your own. Work with a trusted Phoenix, Arizona law firm for experienced legal assistance. If you or someone you love sustained a catastrophic injury, call 602-910-4040 or fill out our online intake form below today.
Our team of compassionate and experienced attorneys are here to help guide you in your time of need.
DONT WAIT. LET OUR LAW FIRM HELP YOU.