PHOENIX BUS ACCIDENT LAWYER
DON’T HESITATE TO REACH OUT TO US!
Our Law Firm is committed to becoming the best Law Firm for Latino, migrant, and Spanish speaking communities in Arizona.
BUS ACCIDENTS IN PHOENIX
Bus accidents are highly traumatic events, sometimes causing serious, catastrophic injuries. Sometimes, multiple vehicles are involved, and several passengers can be injured. If you’ve been injured in a bus accident, you need a Phoenix bus accident lawyer at Ybarra Maldonado Law Group. We understand these cases, as well as many other types of personal injury cases. These cases have multiple potentially liable parties, including the driver, the city’s transit system, a school district, or even our local government.
As one of the top personal injury law firms in Phoenix, we know how to aggressively fight insurance companies to get just compensation for your injuries. Don’t let insurance companies take advantage of you. We’ll fight to get you a settlement that covers all costs associated with your accident, and then some. Don’t settle for low-ball offers. Call our office today to set up a free consultation at 602-910-4040 or visit our website.
BUS PASSENGER SAFETY
Our ultimate goal is to improve bus passenger safety, and to reduce bus crashes in Phoenix by facilitating change. Millions of people ride buses every single day, whether they’re part of public transportation, a private company like Greyhound, or a school bus.
Public Bus Accidents
Unfortunately, even public transportation is subject to serious accidents. Victims of public transportation accidents can sustain long lasting injuries, depending on the severity of the crash. Most times, these vehicles do not have seatbelts, except for the bus driver. Overcrowded buses, with standing passengers and only bars or straps to hold onto pose a much larger threat than you might think. In extreme circumstances, passengers have been ejected from the vehicle entirely.
Drivers of vehicles other than the bus, pedestrians, and cyclists view public buses in an entirely different light. They pose massive threats to other motorists, as the potential damages are serious. Because of their size and tendency to operate in highly urbanized areas, the risk of an accident increases just from their proximity to so many other drivers. Also, bus drivers are not immune to fatigue, as they work long and late hours.
Private Bus Accidents
Private transportation companies, like Greyhound, offer affordable ways to get from one place to another, as opposed to more expensive methods like air travel. For that reason, many people use this transportation option every year. Unlike public buses, private company buses must offer seat belt protection for their passengers. Any passengers injured in private bus accidents are usually entitled to some form of compensation from the company. With that in mind, victims still benefit from hiring a Phoenix bus accident attorney in order to make sure the company compensates all of their losses fairly.
School Bus Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), school buses are safer than cars for children traveling to school on a daily basis. Even so, these accidents still pose significant risks to both passengers and those outside the bus. The rules for lawsuits change slightly, depending on whether the school bus operates for a public or private school. Regardless, bus accident victims must act quickly to recover an appropriate amount for compensation.
What are the Causes of Bus Accidents in Phoenix?
Just as with car accidents in Phoenix, a variety of factors contribute to bus accidents. In this section, we’ll explain common causes that your bus accident attorney will likely have seen.
- Size and weight: Buses are very large and heavy compared to other vehicles. That means they produce much more force, and they cause catastrophic injuries and property damage. Additionally, they often block multiple lanes during a crash, and require more distance to come to a complete stop.
- Less safety features: As we mentioned before, many buses do not have seatbelts or even airbags. Some passengers also stand up in a moving bus, so they are more susceptible to injury.
- Faulty parts: As with any vehicle, buses are susceptible to faulty auto parts. The possibility of overlooking a defective part always exists, as buses generally keep tight schedules.
- Inexperienced drivers: Even though all bus drivers must have a CDL, their employers must also conduct background checks, as well as routine drug testing. Sometimes, this is not properly enforced.
What To Do After a Bus Crash?
- Call the police. In the event that the driver or other staff is unable to call the police, you should call for assistance. The accident must be reported to the authorities so that the details of the crash can be documented.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you cannot see or feel any injuries right away, you should still have a medical professional examine you. That way, any initially unseen injuries will be brought to your attention. Failing to seek medical attention after an accident can be very detrimental to a personal injury case.
- Document the scene. Write down as much contact information as possible from the driver and the passengers. Take pictures and videos of the scene, as this will help your case later.
- Call an attorney. Law firms like ours have attorneys who prioritize personal injury cases. We work diligently to protect your legal rights, protect you from any insurance company involved, and get just compensation for you.
Are There Special Rules for Phoenix Bus Companies?
Phoenix’s Valley Metro public transportation system consists of buses, light rails, paratransit services. Their safety and code of conduct policy is “Respect the Ride,” and covers a wide range of prohibited behaviors and transit violations. These behaviors and violations include conduct, fares, food/drink/tobacco/alcohol, safety, noise, solicitation, and animals. To ensure the safest, most enjoyable ride for passengers, Valley Metro takes violations of their code of conduct very seriously.
How to Establish Who is at Fault in a Bus Accident?
For bus accidents, determining liability can be tricky. It is, however, a very important part of your case. Our attorneys aim to successfully prove liability, then get compensation for your case. If multiple parties are at fault, we ensure that each liable party pays for at least a portion of the damages. Below, we outline some of the common parties at fault for a bus accident in Phoenix.
- The driver: Drivers sometimes behave recklessly or take their eyes off the road. If your injuries resulted from their negligence, they are liable for the damages.
- The driver’s boss: Employers of bus drivers are responsible for training, background checks, and inspections. If they fail to meet these standards, they are liable.
- Passengers: If passengers cause a scene inside the bus or distracts the driver, they are liable.
- Outside drivers: Other drivers might make mistakes or poor decisions while on the road. If they cut off or improperly pass a bus and cause a wreck, they are liable.
- Pedestrians and cyclists: Non-drivers like cyclists or pedestrians might enter a crosswalk or cross the road without the right of way. If this results in a crash, they are liable.
- Local government: City governments are responsible for proper maintenance and design of the roads. If the state of the road, a lack of signage, or other factors cause a wreck, the city is liable.
What are Some Common Injuries You May Face in a Bus Accident Case?
Experienced Phoenix Bus Accident Lawyers
The Ybarra Maldonado Law Group has an exceptional personal injury reputation among the people of Phoenix. We fight for just compensation, for fairness, and for you. If you were involved in a serious bus accident in Phoenix, don’t hesitate to reach out. We offer experienced trial lawyers who will walk you through the process of a personal injury claim, get you the help you need, and win on your behalf. Call 602-910-4040 today to schedule your free consultation, or visit our website to meet with a Phoenix commercial vehicle accident lawyer.
Our team of compassionate and experienced attorneys are here to help guide you in your time of need.
DONT WAIT. LET OUR LAW FIRM HELP YOU.